uscis announces work authorization updates for dependent spouses of e, h-4, and l visa holders

Spouses of H-1B, L-1, and possibly E-1/E-2/E-3 workers or investors will have an easier time maintaining work authorization pursuant to a litigation settlement that has been reached with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Under the new guidance, spouses in L-2 status will be able to accept employment upon entry to the US. Similarly, those in H-4 status will also benefit from a 180-day automatic extension of their work authorization when they timely file for an extension, up to the date of their I-94 expiration.

For individuals who are in in E, H-4, or L dependent spouse status, if they have timely filed an I-765 (EAD) application, they will qualify for an extension of employment authorization until the earlier of the following: approval and/or denial of an EAD application, the expiration date of the current I94, or 180 days from expiration of the prior EAD. This announcement applies to those who plan on filing extensions AND individuals with EADs that have expired (but otherwise maintain lawful status).

In addition, in the coming months even more significant changes are expected. Those in E or L dependent spousal visa status will receive automatic authorization subsequent to visa status. When the change goes into effect, E and L dependent spouses will no longer need to file an I-765 and receive an EAD to accept employment in the US.

While this update is still pending and the Department of Homeland Security is in the process of formalizing the rollout, this is a major victory for dependent spouses of skilled workers and managers in a variety of industries.

If you believe that you or your spouse may be subject to this update, please call Wildes & Weinberg at (212) 753-3468 or email us at to set up a consultation with one of our skilled attorneys.

For Further Information On How We Can Help Your Firm Meet Its Employment Eligibility Verification Obligations, Please Contact Amy Wildes At

In The News


How can you trust someone to be a part of one of the biggest moves you will ever make in your life? That’s what I asked myself when looking for the right lawyer to work on our visa my wife...

Tallis Date : November 29, 2023

I would like to bring the positive news that mine and my family's visas have been APPROVED! I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and to express my heartfelt gratitude for your exceptional efforts and unwavering support...

Lee Jackson Date : September 25, 2023

Michael and his entire team are professional, diligent and knowledgeable, effective and efficient, patient in guidance and interaction, and confident and reassuring in attitude. In brief: excellent partners and guides for the complex immigration journey.

Jonatan S Date : September 14, 2023

The team at Wildes & Weinberg waste no time. They are intelligent, professional, and know exactly what needs to be done to succeed in your case. Had the pleasure of working with Josh Wildes, Julie P. Levey, and Brenda Moura,...

Michael “Dimucc” DiMuccio Date : September 8, 2023

Josh Wildes & everyone on the W&W team were excellent with dealing with my green card application. The team were responsive to any questions, set clear goals & requirements for any & all documentation and were clear on what to...

Kelvin Barker Date : March 10, 2023

I received my Green Card from Michael Wildes and his firm some days ago. The petition approval and Green Card release represent a real achievement for people like me in the US. Michael Wildes and his team are excellent, and...

Luca Zammataro Date : November 22, 2022

Dear Michael Wildes, my husband and I would like to thank you and your team,  the work was not easy, especially in the statement, there were a lot of flaws, but we managed to correct everything in a short time,...

Jacques Carline Date : August 3, 2022

Video Testimonials

  • Book Launch

  • Book Warming

  • Riley Keough

  • Boy George

  • Lionel Richie

  • Stuart Varney

Quick Contact

*All fields are mandatory

Best Immigration Lawyer, Attorneys in NYC, New York